Monday, September 8, 2014

Honors Credit for Co-op/Internship

Have you ever thought, "Gee-whiz, I wish I could get course credit for off-campus experiences such as industrial co-ops and internships!" Really? You use the word 'gee-whiz'?

Well, think no more - about that anyway. You can! Honors-eligible students (>3.3 GPA) can take CHE 499 "Honors Special Problems" the following semester for 3 h credit that can be applied to your career elective and satisfy the "experiential learning" requirement of the CHE honors program. The only requirement is to present a short seminar to a chemical engineering class (typically 125 or 254) to show the students what you did. Sort of a plug for co-ops! This must be approved before the co-op starts (download the approval form from the web site) to ensure it will be an significant engineering experience and that you don't give away proprietary information in your seminar.

Don't use a co-op/internship experience for CHE 498 "Honors Special Problems" (same name and course description) - that course is specifically reserved for work with a significant "science" component. Undergraduate research or an REU experience could be appropriate for this course.

Talk to me (Dr. Lane) if you are thinking about doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment